Monday, July 04, 2011

Running sucks

I can never run. Is what I tell myself from as far back as I can remember. And that would be for every year when Sports Day is nigh, when all students start going for their qualifying try-outs. I hated all those try-outs only because I am very competitive and can never be any good at any of the events. 100meters, 4x100 meters, long jump, high jump and every other event that can ever bruise a child's ego, especially a child who at 11 got her first quasi part-time job as a librarian in the school library. This child loved books not race neck to neck on the school field with some hyperactive jumping bean.

But I wasn't all nerd sticking my nose behind a book throughout those years, I did find my niche in sports, I am a natural at racquet games. And once upon a time I was on the bowling team (only because the Pink Ladies and T-Birds made it uber cool).

The ordeals continued in secondary school. In addition to the same qualifying try-outs, there were the annual compulsory cross country runs I had to endure for 5 years. I'd run and get stitches throughout. I knew running for more than 5 straight minutes is something only a non-human can do and I made up my mind on that ..for good.

Fast forward circa 2006.

I (re)joined the gym across the office and got conned into signing up with a personal trainer who for obvious reasons was the more serious party in this 'relationship' - he has a KPI which I have paid for.

He told me to run on the treadmill, my whole childhood flashed before my eyes, I told him no, anything but running. My pleas undeniably fell on deaf ears. He started up the treadmill on speed 6.3. I ran.. for 30 seconds.. before I slammed the emergency button so hard we both got the shocker.

I remembered the look on his face when I spoke to him between pants while clutching my chest "AIH ...TOHLD ...YOUH ...AIH..CANNOTH...RHUN!" His jaws stayed open for a couple of minutes. When his soul entered back into his body he said "You're right.. but that's ok. We will train and after this you will be able to run. I promise you"

I had devised many a plans to quit the gym after that day. Cos I can't just quit the PT. I'd still bump into him when I do non-running stuffs in the gym. Hassle.

In the end I chose the easier way out of this - I gave in and face up to the one thing I hated in my life. I was going to run.

3 comments:

Lily G said...

Can't wait for the next instalment!

Hani S said...

run, Waffles, run ... run like the wind!!!

waffles said...

thank you my 2 readers. please help yourselves to the cupcakes.