Sunday, November 06, 2011

Gym blues

I've been lax in my running regime post Raya festivities, morever, with overwhelming workload at the office, I've just not had the time to make time for my usual runs.

Had to take a steroid jab recently due to acute tendonitis. Couldn't move my wrist without excruciating pains shooting through my arms. Because of the steroid I retained water and bloated up like a 2 week old dead beached whale (minus stench).

Last week I decided enough was enough so I started my runs again and for payback put in triple extra effort to get back in the game. Minimum of 5km per run 3 times a week. That gave the body a shocker but my trainer friend says "the body has a memory chip, it remembers", so it was not that tough nor painful as the muscles (and fats) start vibrating again.

Got out of my comfort zone and went to the nearest gym (to the office) to workout, which makes absolute sense, since I don't have to get stuck in traffic to go to the other branch (other side of town) that I'm familiar with. Read somewhere (a book about dating haha - I hate those "self-help" books) that if you don't meet anyone "interesting" at the usual place you frequent, "they" must be at the other places that you try to avoid.

Was killing 2 birds with one stone on this one. So far no joy but that's not my main objective anyways. (Where ARE these people for crying out loud?? Sheesh).

I did meet this trainer at the gym who came up to me while I was strecthing (no, this is not a love story) to do a survey on the gym. Sidetrack - I didn't know I'm entitled to use the BMI machine to check my fat mass, muscle mass and all the other mess I have. He offered me to try kick boxing - one sesh burns 700 calories.

Took up the offer. I mean get real.. 5km of running is just under 250 calories. One packet of M&Ms is 230 calories (which I had recently - nor is this a story about self-control).

And oh wow, bow chicka wow wow. I loved it. It's such an adrenaline pumping work out and is such an effective stress reliever. Never have I punched anything with so much vigour, with boxing gloves for that matter too. I was worried though about my non-existent coordination control. (You go left, I go left, you go left, I go right, you go left, I've left the work out studio). But the trainer was patient and went slow and I did quite well if I may so myself. But with all trainers, this was just a teaser of course. If you want to pursue, you have to sign up with a program that has a price tag of an initial car down payment.

I nearly took the bait (no self-control, remember?) but his boss (who did the sales pitch) had to be arrogant and say "This is a good investment and you'll thank me for this".

I don't know why these people think they are god's gift to society. I understand they are doing their job but there are a million and one ways to tackle a sale. I was annoyed and retorted "Shouldn't YOU be thanking me?" He didn't want to let up and came back with "We want to help you".

Yes, THAT certainly helped. Do I look like I have issues? (I do, but eff you). I was really really ticked off with his arrogance by then and wasn't going to let his defensive tone take the best of me so I said "Oh I thought you want to help with my money". I stood up, thanked him politely (see, manners son, manners), excused myself and ran furiously on the treadmill.

Remembered seeing a millions buntings on Muay Thai near the house. There's a centre close by! Going to check that out.



3 comments:

Leen AshBurn said...

Yar! And there's a groupon coupon also for tryouts for a month ke apa. Go go go!

Didi G said...

"we want to help you' is so MLM innit? Bloody lying extortionists.

[V]landa said...

I forgot how much I enjoyed reading your blog. Then I remembered; I have a memory chip afterall!